Better known in England in the 14th Century as Makerouns, the dish was made with hand-cut pasta, sandwiched between a mixture of butter and cheese. The first recipe recorded ever in a cookbook of “Macaroni and cheese” was in the year 1824 in The Virginia Housewife written by Mary Randolph.
With the calorie count of 165 per 100 grams, Macaroni and cheese, famously known as ‘Mac and cheese’ in the United States, as ‘macaroni pie’ in Caribbean English and simply ‘macaroni cheese’ in the UK, is a dish relished throughout the world. The dish originated from US where the cheese used in it was cheddar cheese. It always had the flexibility to include other ingredients like bread crumbs, veggies; and meat for the non veg lovers.
Traditionally, this dish was cooked by baking the macaroni along with the cheese in a casserole. But as the time changed, the American comfort eating gave it a chance to be cooked in a sauce-pan.
The flavors of the same American dish, now get’s its shape with your hands in your own kitchen with the help of Cook Gourmet. The exotic yummy pasta with your favourite combination of cheese can be cooked in the comfort of your house to treat your family and friends.
Recipe Name– Three Cheese Mac’n’Cheese with Chocolate Cake Pops
Preparation Time – 25 minutes
Chef – Tejasvi Arneja
Calories – 550 per serving
When we speak of American cuisine, the first dish that pops into our mind is mac’n’cheese. Considered to be comfort food in the United States, it is usually prepared with cheddar cheese. At cook gourmet, we use masala cheddar, gouda cheese and Parmesan to give it a gourmet spin on the traditional mac’n’cheese. To make your kids love it, we also give out the recipe for these ultra-cool chocolate cake pops.
- 150g macaroni
- ¼ cup (60 g) butter
- 40g all-purpose flour
- 360ml milk
- 1 tbsp chives
- 45g gouda cheese
- 45g masala cheddar
- 45g Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp oil for boiling macaroni
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 dinner rolls
- Salt to taste
For the Dessert
- 120g mongini’s chocolate cake
- ¼ cup condensed milk
- ¼ cup castor sugar
- A few silver balls for decoration
- Make the chocolate cake pops – In a bowl, mix the condensed milk with mongini cake (crumble it). Make a square shape and coat with castor sugar and silver balls. Cool in the fridge while you get on with your macaroni.
- Boil the macaroni – In a saucepan, bring 1.5 liter water to boil; add the macaroni when the water boils with oil and 1 tsp salt (not provided). Cook on high flame for 5 minutes. Drain and strain under cold water to stop cooking it further.
- Heat butter & flour for sauce – In a non-stick pan, melt butter over low heat, stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes till it gives a biscuit flavor and is golden brown.
- Add milk to sauce – Now slowly add 180ml milk, cook for 2 minutes and add the remaining 180ml milk. Add salt and black pepper (provided to you) and cook for 2 more minutes on low heat.
- Add the three types of cheese – To the sauce, add gouda, masala & Parmesan cheese into the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until the cheese has melted. You can add more salt & black pepper, in case you feel it is less. Take off the heat, add in the boiled macaroni and stir to coat.
- Plate your dish – Pour the macaroni in a bowl and top with some chives. Serve with dinner rolls and the chocolate cake pops.
The taste of a yummy Italian restaurant, cooked with the hygiene and your own hands, three cheese pasta is something you are going to fall for. Order today and fell in love with flavors of the Lip-smacking dish!
Connect on Facebook for daily updates!