Brinjals have always been my favourite since childhood in the form of my mom’s Baigan ka Bharta. Eating the same yummy recipe was never ever boring and was always one of my first choices while having a supper. However, inspired by my recent visit to The Frontier, The Ashok Hotel, Delhi; I wanted to try my hands on their wonderfully done Khatte Baigan dish.
Got the chance to cook yesterday and thus made my experiment, which turned out to be a successful hit! Here is the recipe:
- 10-12 Brinjals (small)
- 2 Large Onions (Chopped)
- 2 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 2 tsp Tamarind Pulp
- 4 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- ½ Tsp Red Chilly Powder
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp Fennel Seeds (saunf)
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 small Dalchini
- 1 Tsp Black pepper powder
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Tbsp Curd
- Salt to Taste
- Make small cuts on the brinjals (don’t split them)
- Shallow fry or roast the brinjals in oil and keep aside
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil, add ginger garlic paste, dalchini, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and black pepper. Roast for 30 seconds
- Add onions to the same and sauté for 2 minutes, till they turn pink.
- Now add tomato puree, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and tomato ketchup and sauté til the oil separates.
- Add Tamarind pulp or Amchoor powder, water and salt. Also pour in the curd and bring it to a boil. Add the brinjals and cook covered for 2 minutes. Serve with masala roti!
Connect on Facebook for daily updates!